Everything Takes Practice

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:09 p.m. by Chris Amico in Lessons From...

I don't have New Year's resolutions, really. I pick a few things I'd like to learn in a year, and sometimes I actually learn those things. Sometimes I end up on weird tangents, and sometimes those pay off.

What I do have, more by accident than intention, is something of an annual mantra, a little phrase that keeps coming back into my life and work.

Last year's mantra: Resist the urge to be clever.

I had that written on the whiteboard next to my desk at NPR. I can't remember which project inspired it, but it was a good reminder that my job wasn't to come up with the most clever way to accomplish a task, it was to get stuff done.

This year, for no reason I can think of, I've been repeating a different phrase to myself: Everything takes practice.

It's a reminder to myself that few skills are magically acquired, even banal ones, and that if I want to be good at something, I need to put in the time and the work. Or as an old sensei once told me, "The secret is, there is no secret."

Comments:

feb 3, 2013 at 3:48 p.m. // sandra fish said:

Sort of the anti-Allen Iverson ethic, eh? or are you also too young to remember that classic rant about practice?!?! Still, i like it... trying to emphasize the practice concept to students (and to me, too..)

sep 16, 2013 at 4:28 p.m. // NIKE FREE 5.0 said:

I understand that they have concerns, but do I get a say in what happens in Tigard? I do not. Do something already.

aug 5, 2014 at 10:16 p.m. // concerts in new york said:

You could have the funds again in the a month, plus it will even be when 14 days concerts in new york if you happen to be inside the technique of trying to modify your home loan, you might be probably extremely concerned with all the quantity of time it is going to take for one to get a decision from your bank.

aug 6, 2014 at 12:43 a.m. // The Eagles Concert said:

It is not compulsory that you should be a good creditor to fetch these funds The Eagles Concert you might build complications with each your credit and bank if it is not done efficiently.

aug 6, 2014 at 7:08 a.m. // miranda Lambert concerts said:

When looking into having a payday cash loan, it's important to become familiar along with your state legislation concerning the firms that lend them miranda Lambert concerts last week, david cameron was involved with an extraordinary stand-up row with argentina's president cristina fernandez de kirchner in the future from the falkands.

Please use Markdown format, your real name and common decency. Remember that Google can always find the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Say it: